I wrote my master's thesis in physics on the topic "Simulation and Visualization of Gravitational Waves from Binary Black Holes" at the University of Konstanz. During my research as a physicist, I realized the current need for effective tools to process mathematical formulae in document analysis.
- Mathematical Information Retrieval (MIR)
- Methods to improve accessing mathematical formulae in STEM documents for search-, recommender-, plagiarism and novelty detection systems
TEACHING & PROJECTS
The following list illustrates examples of the student projects (see pdf file here). Feel free to contact me if you have interest in any of these topics.
- Classification and Clustering of arXiv Documents, Sections, and Abstracts, Comparing Encodings of Natural and Mathematical Language
P. Scharpf, M. Schubotz, A. Youssef, F. Hamborg, N. Meuschke, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2020
- Representing Mathematical Formulae in Content MathML using Wikidata
Scharpf, P. Schubotz, M. Gipp, B.
Workshop paper at the ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2018
- Introducing MathQA - A Math-Aware Question Answering System
Schubotz, M. Scharpf, P. Gipp, B.
Workshop paper at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2018
- Improving the Representation and Conversion of Mathematical Formulae by Considering their Textual Context
Schubotz, M. Greiner-Petter, A. Scharpf, P. Meuschke, N. Cohl, H. Gipp, B.
Full paper in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Fort Worth, USA, 2018
Towards Formula Concept Discovery and Recognition
Scharpf, P. Schubotz, M. Cohl, H. Gipp, B.
Workshop paper at the ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR), 2019
- AnnoMathTeX – a Formula Identifier Annotation Recommender System for STEM Documents
Scharpf, P. Mackerracher, I. Schubotz, M. Beel, J. Breitinger, C. Gipp, B.
Demo paper at the ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys), 2019