University of Konstanz
Dept. of Computer and Information Science
Building Z, Room 725
Box 76, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)7531 88 4805
Recipient of the Carl-Zeiss Scholarship
I love working with news articles and in general text documents. Specifically, my research focuses on the automated identification of media bias in news articles. My research interests are:
- Media bias and content analysis
- Text analysis
- Natural language processing (NLP)
- Information retrieval
I believe in open access and strive to release my research projects as soon as they are ready for the public. You can find them listed on the right or on GitHub.
TEACHING & PROJECTS
Most of the projects and theses that I supervise are concerned with text analysis and natural language processing. For information on possible projects just have a look at the News Analysis section in our list of project topics or drop me an email.
Publications that received an award or were nominated for one are listed below:
- Illegal Aliens or Undocumented Immigrants? Towards the Automated Identification of Bias by Word Choice and Labeling
F. Hamborg, A. Zhukova, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the iConference 2019, 2019.
Best Short Paper Award Finalist PDF
- Introducing MathQA: a Math-Aware question answering system
M. Schubotz, P. Scharpf, K. Dudhat, Y. Nagar, F. Hamborg, and B. Gipp
Information Discovery and Delivery, 2018.
Outstanding Paper Award PDF
- Giveme5W: Main Event Retrieval from News Articles by Extraction of the Five Journalistic W Questions
F. Hamborg, S. Lachnit, M. Schubotz, T. Hepp, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the iConference 2018, 2018
Best Paper Award Finalist PDF
- Matrix-based News Aggregation: Exploring Different News Perspectives
F. Hamborg, N. Meuschke, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2017
Best Student Paper Award PDF