Office: FC 1.16
Corinna Breitinger received her bachelor’s degree from UC Berkeley in 2011 and her master’s degree in Media and Web Technology from Linnaeus University, in Sweden, in 2016. Before beginning her graduate studies, she worked in the Silicon Valley as an associate researcher for the tech startups SciPlore and Docear. She also completed a 6-month research appointment at the National Institute of Informatics in Tokyo.
She was awarded a 3-year doctoral scholarship by the Carl-Zeiss Foundation. Currently she works as a research associate on topics at the intersection of Information Science and Human-Computer Interaction.
My research interests include:
- Recommender systems, in particular for scholarly literature and academia
- HCI considerations in information management and retrieval
- Decision support systems
- Implications of blockchain technology for innovation and academia
At the moment, I am especially interested in advancing and developing semantic similarity and citation-based approaches to improve recommendations for academic literature.
TEACHING & PROJECTS
- The slides below are examples of student research projects that I'm currently offering. Here you can open the slides in high resolution:
- Open project slides as PDF
For a full list of my publications please click here.
- Visualizing Feature-based Similarity for Research Paper Recommendation
C. Breitinger, H. Reiterer
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), online, 2021.
- Supporting the Exploration of Semantic Features in Academic Literature using Graph-based Visualizations
C. Breitinger, B. Kolcu, M. Meuschke, N. Meuschke, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), online, 2020.
- A Semantically-enriched Recommendation and Visualization Approach for Academic Literature
in Bulletin of IEEE Technical Committee on Digital Libraries (TCDL), vol. 15, iss. 1, 2019.
- Too Late to Collaborate: Challenges to the Discovery of in-progress Research
C. Breitinger, P. Wortner, B. Gipp, H. Reiterer
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Urbana-Champaign, USA, 2019.
- An Adaptive Image-based Plagiarism Detection Approach
N. Meuschke, C. Gondek, D. Seebacher, C. Breitinger, D. Keim, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Fort Worth, USA, 2018.
- VirtualPatent – Enabling the Traceability of Ideas Shared Online using Decentralized Trusted Timestamping
C. Breitinger and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium of Information Science, 2017, pp. 89-95.
- Mr. DLib: Recommendations-as-a-Service (RaaS) for Academia
J. Beel, A. Aizawa, C. Breitinger, and B. Gipp
in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Toronto, Canada, 2017.
- Securing Video Integrity Using Decentralized Trusted Timestamping on the Blockchain
B. Gipp, J. Kosti, and C. Breitinger
in Proceedings of the 10th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS), Paphos, Cyprus, 2016.
- Research-paper recommender systems: a literature survey
J. Beel, B. Gipp, S. Langer, and C. Breitinger
International Journal on Digital Libraries, pp. 1-34, 2015.