I wrote my master's thesis in physics on the topic "Simulation and Visualization of Gravitational Waves from Binary Black Holes" at the University of Konstanz. During my research as a physicist, I realized the current need for effective tools to process mathematical formulae in document analysis.
- Mathematical Information Retrieval (MIR)
- Methods to improve accessing mathematical formulae in STEM documents for search-, recommender-, plagiarism and novelty detection systems
TEACHING & PROJECTS
The following list illustrates examples of the student projects (see pdf file here). Feel free to contact me if you have interest in any of these topics.
- Representing Mathematical Formulae in Content MathML using Wikidata
Scharpf, P. Schubotz, M. Gipp, B.
Workshop paper at the ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, 2018
- Introducing MathQA - A Math-Aware Question Answering System
Schubotz, M. Scharpf, P. Gipp, B.
Workshop paper at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2018
- Improving the Representation and Conversion of Mathematical Formulae by Considering their Textual Context
Schubotz, M. Greiner-Petter, A. Scharpf, P. Meuschke, N. Cohl, H. Gipp, B.
Full paper in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), Fort Worth, USA, 2018